The Chinese University of Hong Kong and Six Patriarch Monastery have jointly set up the Centre for the Study of Chan Buddhism and Human Civilization, the mission of which is to deepen the academic research on Buddhism in general and Chan Buddhism in particular internationally. This year, the Centre in collaboration with the Academy of Chinese Buddhism, The Faculty of Arts of the University of Macau, Institute for the Study of Buddhism and Ethics of Renmin University, Philosophy Department of Sun Yat-sen University, Center for Buddhist Studies at Peking University, Philosophy Department and the Center for Buddhist Studies at Taiwan University will organize the 10th Young Scholar Symposium and the 7th Cross-Strait Four Regions and International Conference in Buddhist Studies. Scholars and postgraduate students are invited to come to the Chinese University of Hong Kong to present your research and exchange your views on the study of Chinese Buddhism.
The theme of both symposium and conference this year is “Chinese Buddhism and Human Civilization”. It will provide a unique platform for scholars as well as postgraduate students to expand their research and exchange their views on the study of Chinese Buddhism.
- History and Buddhism in Contemporary China
- Buddhist Classics and Culture
- Buddhist Schools and Philosophy
- Meditation and Other Religious Practice
- Chan Buddhism
Conference Date: 24 – 27 July, 2014
Opening ceremony is scheduled to be held in the afternoon of 24 July, Paper presentation will be on the whole day of 25 July and 26 July. Participants may leave Hong Kong on 27 July, 2015.
Conference Venue: The Chinese University of Hong Kong. Hong Kong
1. All scholars including Ph. D candidates in Chinese Buddhism studies are welcome.
How to Apply:
1. Applicants should download the relevant application form for registration. No registration fee is charged.
2. Full paper about 8000-10000 words in Chinese or 5000-8000 in English , including the title, author, abstract, key words, main text, footnotes and references, should be submitted before 10 June, 2015
3. Please email your registration form and full paper to cbhcATcuhk.edu.hk.
Important Dates and Deadlines:
1. Deadline for registration: 15 March, 2015
2. Deadline for paper submission: 10 June, 2015
3. Date of notification of acceptance: on or before 15 June, 2015
1. Registration fee: free of charge.
2. The organizer may provide a package of HKD 5,000 (maximum) for the scholars who are invited after the papers are accepted to subsidize their accommodation and transportation fees.
The organizer has the right to decide the exact amount of subsidy to each participant, and it will be clearly stated in the invitation letter.
3. Invited scholars may arrange the lodges themselves with the subsidy; the organizer will only recommend some nearby hotels for reference.
4. Lunch, dinner and tea breaks will be served during the event.
Visit the website for more information.